IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Daring Baker (July)

I made it! Ugh... moan, groan, whine, this challenge had me rethinking my decision to join the Daring Bakers. It is definitely more of a challenge that I thought it would be. But, my mom continues to push me through, and I guess I am glad she does. It is fun to learn new skills, and test my limits. As a mommy, I don't get enough of that (said with MUCH sarcasm!). On a side note, tomorrow is my honey and I's 4th anniversary... and he made the Daring Husband plunge, and also made a huge investment for our family! I will post more on that tomorrow, but these are the last DB pictures taken with a "Point and Shoot". WOO HOO!!!

This month the recipe was called: Filbert Gateau with Praline Butter cream
From Great Cakes by Carol Walter. I had little french in High School to know that Gateau is cake! As I read the recipe, there were more french words. I printed out the recipe, and got to work... wait... the recipe is 8 PAGES!!!! I really needed to read this, and get an idea of what would be happening during this cake making ordeal. I read in the recipe, and a few times through out, "Do this quickly", "Do not let sit". YIKES! This is going to be tough. It was tough. I completed it with my mom on Sunday morning before church. Nothing like a little heated stress before sabbath worship.

The cake was a lemony cake, with a praline butter cream, and a bittersweet chocolate icing. I don't like bitter chocolate, so once again, I could not fully appreciate the flavor. I always have family be my testers, because a) they know the sweat and tears that go into the dish, and b) they will give me an honest opinion. Joel is BRUTALLY honest, so sometimes I hold back, and don't give him anything, because I don't want to know how bad it is! Alie said, "This is something that you would find in a super fancy bakery, and spend a lot of money on." Joel ate three pieces or so, so I know he liked it. I think it tasted better then it looked!

A stressful and time consuming job! I learned how to make a great butter cream, and will use that skill if anything!

9 comments:

Tearz said...

Oh my goodness.....looks divine! Can I come up and have a peice? Yummy! Go Kirstynn for being a daring baker! You rock!

Cristi said...

Oh my gosh - have we discussed this before? We have the SAME ANNIVERSARY!! We'll be married four years tomorrow too! WAHOO!!

una donna dolce said...

It was a little fancy shmancy wasn't it?

Sisters staying connected... said...

I LOVED this cake...super fancy!

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

I love that your always up for a challenge even if it seems impossible. I love that your always trying new things. Your great and the cake was yummy!!!!!! So what's next and can I have a tiny sample??? :)

AMy said...

THis is some form of torture. It is 1:42 in the moring and I would love a piece of delicious cake, yum!
I will be going to sleep and dreaming about this :)

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds intense! When are you going to let me cook a daring recipe with you? I love fancy food!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looked really good. Great job, especially making it all at once, wow!

Lauren said...

Mmm, your cake looks great!