IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Sunday, July 13, 2008

First Daring Baker Challenge (June)

Super fun for me!!!! I have been following a few blogs of cooks, chefs, and bakers, and I notice one common denominator...




There is a forum that is known throughout the world world amongst bakers, who bake the same recipe every month. They then post their results on their blog. This month was my first time, and well, I have been a little behind. Better late then never. After today, I will be working on July's Challenge!!!

For my first challenge, I was really challenged. When I first learned of the Daring Bakers, the recipes I saw seemed pretty self explanatory. Then I got the instructions for my first challenge, and I was more then perplexed! Of course! Maybe that is why it too so long for me to complete it. I was beginning to think, maybe I am not "all that" of a baker. Maybe I am in way over my head. My mom is a great cook. She has a catering business, and she always makes the food look fabulous! So together I knew we could, "Make it work". Thanks Tim Gunn!!!

This month they called for all Daring Bakers to make a Danish Braid. The filling was baked apples, or your choice. I chose Raspberry Cream Cheese. The technique is a lot of folding, rolling, folding, and rolling some more. That is how danishes get that flaky layerey effect.

I took pictures through out the whole process. I noticed some D.B. ers do just the final product, and some from start to finish. This month I will try it the hard way, and next month we'll see if I want to go the easy route. I also just started using Photoshop, why? Don't ask me! I regret using it so soon, I have NO IDEA what I am doing. I thought, "Play around with it... can't be that hard..." It is completely GREEK! Maybe after a few forums and tutorials, it will be better next month. I may have screwed up the pics even more. YIKES! Too many new things in my life! Must stop!!!

I really, 100%, want to hear the criticism of these pics. I NEED to hear it! PLEASE, don't make me beg. I am a sponge. Will listen to anything! Please post the comments, so I can reference back. Thanks and here it is....

So once you have to dough made, it has to be measured out. Since I can't eyeball things AT ALL, I used painters tape, and a tape measure. Roll out the dough,



After you have the dough measured out, you spread a layer of a butter spread over 2/3 of the dough.



Then you fold the dough over the butter, and make a poke! That means 1 fold! Then you chill it, roll it, fold it, poke it, and repeat 4 TIMES!!!



Once the dough has been rolled and folded a billion times, then you are ready to braid the bread. Each side has to have 5inch long cuts, 1 inch apart. Hence the tape measure!
Once the cuts have been made, you are ready to add the filling. This is where you get creative. Or in my case... add what you have already in the pantry. Raspberry jam, and cream cheese. I am so glad for food storage!



Then just start braiding! It was so fun, remember when you were like 7 and loved to braid your dolls hair... Memories!!! I love it!

Once the braid it complete, it must rest for 2 hours. Then it is ready to go in the oven. It bakes for 30 minutes, and honestly, you can't screw this up! It comes out beautiful. If you know me, and you know my mom, you know, she is the DOILY QUEEN! Feast your eyes on this...



This was the perfect Sunday morning treat. The reviews on the taste were... mixed. Joel doesn't like cream cheese, so he said, "Errr". My parents on the other hand thought it was great. I thought there was a weird taste, which I know now is the cardamom. I am not a fan of the spice, but I didn't know that before baking this. Other then that, I thought it tasted alright. I will definitely be baking more Danish Braid in the future. I am thinking chocolate though!

That is my debut of The Daring Bakers!!!!

6 comments:

Tearz said...

Go Kirstynn! I'm loving the recipes and food photography. You are soo talented! Not to mention reading your blog and seeing the yummy danish bread at 1130pm is making me soo hungry!

Kathy Twitchell said...

Thats way too pretty to eat:)

Forward With Fun and Faith said...

Oh my word Kirstynn...you are amazing!!=0)

AMy said...

Marjorie Mcclure, my art teacher, would rip apart the painting that I spent hours on...maybe even days...and I loved it because I learned more. Well I am not going to rip you a new one like my art teacher but I do have one suggestion. The lighting is off...proper lighting/exposure gives your object more shape and life...while I am more of a painter and don't know all the logistics of the camera, I suggest checking this blog page out...you may even know him from the Hill Street Ward. Ben Leavitt?? anways it's http://benleavitt.blogspot.com/.
Email him with any questions because he is totally into the photography scene and he is truly amazing!
Hope it helps and btw it looks delish! Call me up and I will be a taste tester :)

Sisters staying connected... said...

Well, I think you did a good job...but I am just an eater, not a photo taker. You rock! Keep up the good work! ...alie

Anonymous said...

Your braid looks scrumptious!!!