IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"The Italian Stallion"

This story, makes me laugh every time I think of it! In December 2002, my friend, lets call her "Jennifer", and her sister "Jessica" and her friend, "Jen" and I, all went to Chicago. This was way before we had kids, and were even married. So we were living the single life in the big city for four days. We stayed at a beautiful hotel on the "Magnificent Mile" called "Inter Continental". the only thing I remember about this hotel, besides the beautiful lobby, was the doorman. His name was Giovanni! All four of us crazy, giddy girls, had a little thing for "Giovanni". Now, "Jennifer" who is never afraid to say what is on her mind, said, "Oh Giovanni! Is that Italian!? You Italian Stallion!" Giovanni was flattered, and gave us some good choices for places to see while in the city. Every time we came back to the hotel, the Italian Stallion was happy to see us! He was the talk of the entire trip. So much, that a year later, "Jennifer" and "Jessica" took their mom to Chicago, stayed in the same hotel, and of course, flirted with Giovanni again! When she came home from that trip, I heard all about how he remembered her beautiful eyes. One day about a year later, I received a call from "Jennifer" saying, "Giovanni is on TV!!! There was a commercial on coming to see Chicago, and at the very end, the doorman tipped his hat, and it was THE ITALIAN STALLION!!!" Wow, we have hit BIG TIME! We know a real true celebrity!!! Right! OK... so now that 5 years have passed, and we all have kids, and are all married, Giovanni somehow still comes up in conversation. So here is where the fun starts... In Chicago last week, me, "Jennifer", and "Katie". "Katie" has heard "Jennifer" talk about Giovanni over that last few months. Of course we are in the city, "Jennifer" insists that we at least walk by to see if he still works there. She asks one door man, "Is Giovanni here?" He tells us he isn't, and when he gets in. So that night, on our way to dinner, we pass Inter Continental of course, and there he is... her real life, Italian Stallion. Very innocently she approached him, says, "Hello". He looks at her a little blankly, she looks back blankly at his name tag. She looks at his face, it is him. That is Giovanni, why does his name tag say "Hussain"?

"Jennifer": You are Giovanni, why does your tag say Hussain?
Italian Stallion: No, I am Hussain.
"J": Yeah, but you were Giovanni?
I.S.: Oh, I lost that name tag. I am really Hussain.
"J": You're not from Italy?
I.S.: No, I am from Iraq.

Her dreams have been crushed! Not only is he not from Italy, he is much shorter, and much older then he was the last time she saw him. After we picked up our much saddened friend, we laughed about it the entire night! And even on the way home. We called "Jessica" and "Jen", and told all about our devastation. We got pictures though! And we will always remember the "Iraqi Short Old Stallion, or Camel". And will always wonder, "why was he Giovanni the first and second time "Jennifer" saw him? If you work at "INTERCONNTINENTIAL" do you have to change your heritage, and become a different international character?" We will just have to always wonder!




The names in this story have been changed to protect the innocent and broken hearted. The story has been altered to add dramatic appeal, (not really, "Jennifer" does that all on her own!)

4 comments:

Jean Smith said...

haha...i am TOTALLY laughing my head off! only jennifer...

Cristi said...

Ha ha! I am in LOVE with this story!! And I wonder why in the world he went by Giovanni in the first place? Weird! You girls are so cute!

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

I will never forget that night! Hysterical! So glad you were there to share it with me. It wouldn't have been the same without you. I think this is something that I will be laughing about for the rest of my life.

Ahhhh Giovanni/Hussein whatever in the Hell your name is....you imposter you...but a fine looking imposter at that....short and aged like a fine Italian wine or wait I guess I can't say that can I. Do Iraqi's make wine??? Ok maybe they make cheese....like a fine block of aged cheese.......until we meet again so we can laugh hysterically at your short man's complex, which is why I'm assuming you took on the role of Giovanni the hot sexy Italian Stallion who flew over straight from the boot.

Anonymous said...

This is "Katie". All I have to say is BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. :) He wanted you.