IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Monday, April 21, 2008

Nature Center Nightmare!

On Fridays, Nora and I volunteer at the Howell Nature Center. We spend an hour filling the bird feeders. This was our first week. I thought it would be really fun for the two of us to spend time serving the community. I want her to have an appreciation for animals (unlike me). Then if I see her appreciate them more, it may motivate me more to also appreciate them. Well... bad first impression. We went to the office where we were supposed to get trained... and the first thing I see is 2 dead mice in a bird cage, with a bird eating away at it! I HATE MICE with a passion. I took a deep breath, and said a prayer that I wouldn't "toss my cookies" right then and there. Then the nature lady takes us to where we find the food. As she is opening the door to this room, she says, as she flips on the lights, "This is the MOUSE HOUSE". A room FILLED top to bottom with caged mice! Oh boy... I am really going to have to consider how much I want to do service! You might be thinking, "Come on Kirstynn, buck it up! It's a little tiny mouse, what can it do to you?" I have had a fear of mice since I was 8 years old, and one ran under my foot while I was standing on my tip toes brushing my teeth! I have been fearful of them ever since. So anyway... here are a few pictures of Nora having fun filling the bird feeders. She is officially the smallest member of the staff.


2 comments:

Cristi said...

So great that you guys do service! And I understand somewhat. Not about mice, but if it were a room full of bees, I'd feel the same way! :)

Jean Smith said...

that's so awesome you are doing it! you go girl...stick with it...this is your ONE and only chance to get over that fear. who knows, in a couple of months, we'll probably come over to visit you at your house and you will have mice pets all over the place...