IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Good bye first 5K!

Today was the big day. I began the preparation several months ago... sort of put it on the back burner, and then the weekend came. YIKES! My research indicated that the day before you should load up on carbs. Don't have to tell me twice! Olive Garden has their Never Ending Pasta Special! That was my day before prep. Tried really hard to get to be early, and get a good night sleep. It didn't help that at 1am, Nora woke up SCREAMING "DRIIIINK! DRIIIIINK!!!" Oh bother! The one night she decided to wake up in the middle of the night. Maybe she was having sympathy pains. Maybe she was telling me that I needed to drink more water before the race... either way, I threw a sippy of ice water at her, then went back to bed. So did she! Couldn't get back to sleep. Kept thinking about the race. What would it be like? What should I expect? Will the free t-shirt match my shoes? Should I wear my UofM hat? I don't know which of those questions put me to sleep. The alarm went off, and I was ready! Protein bar, and water for breakfast. The weather couldn't be more perfect. Slightly over cast, the little chill brought motivation to run. Lanae and I met up, and rode in together. Took a few pics.




Jean showed up at the starting line. The race began. I had a few goals going into this... 1)finish 2)in under an hour and 3) don't let the 80 year olds beat me. Let me say this... there are some fast 80 year olds! They can book it, and book it they did! yes I finished, and yes in under an hour.
It was a great experience, and I am so glad that I did it. I will for sure be doing it again next year, and I have my time to beat. I probably could have pushed myself a little more, and that will be my goal for next time. It is really a great feeling, and if anyone is thinking of the idea, DO IT! I don't say this very often, but this time is more then appropriate, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! Really! I am going to try it again in April, and hopefully I can say I did it while I was pregnant! Jean and Lanae, you two are so awesome, and inspiring. Thank you for all of your AWESOME support, and friendship! I could have done it alone, but it would have been less fun, I would have been MUCH slower, and I wouldn't have had any pictures! You two ROCK!!! I LOVE YOU BOTH!

7 comments:

Jean Smith said...

yipee!!! it was so much fun, i'm so glad we did it together!!! your first 5k and you accomplished all of your goals (except for those two dang 80 year olds)!!! anyway, we will do it again...

Julie Barb said...

Ok Kirstynn...I'm totally in...for April that is:) Next time you do it I want to do it with you!! It will motivate me:) Way proud of you! Good job!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics Kirstynn. What a fun day and a great memory. Thanks for motivating me. You're Great!

Clear the clutter said...

Way to go!!!

Kathy Twitchell said...

Go Kirstynn!!! I am so proud of you! I try to sign up for them every so often so that you have to constantly run to stay in shape for them. Fall weather is perfect for running too! I love your pics! One day i want to run a 1/2 marathon. I am not sure I could ever do a full one. Anyway, you're awesome!

Tearz said...

GO GIRLY!!!!!! Awesome accomplishment! Let me know the next one you do and I'll do it with you too! ((ps. got some good news that I'll be posting tomorrow- be sure to read))

Kevin said...

Congrats - it is always cool to set a goal and then achieve it.

FYI on the middle of the night parenting - you shouldn't throw sippy cups at your kids. Serious damage can happen - they can be pretty heavy when full of water.

On a real note - thanks for coming over last night. Had a good time getting to know you and Joel.