IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My LABOR Day!



I was asked to tell my Labor Day story on my blog. I am sure for entertainment value only. It wasn't even that entertaining. Maybe I have my own dramatic twist on it!

Let's see where to begin *insert harp music here*, oh yes, October 14, 2006: Joel and I were given tickets to go see "Suessical the Musical". Since the Tigers were playing in the playoffs, I don't think he was too kean on going. But, this would most likely be our last weekend as a single couple, it sounded like the best option. We went to Bennigans for dinner, and I had a "Monte Cristo". (this will come into factor later in the story). It was fabulous, super greasy, and just what the mom to be needed! I had been popping Blue Kohosh pills all day. (My former mid-wife grandma told me that helps to bring on labor). I really was doing everything I could to get something to start down there. Not too much luck! So we are at the musical... which is apx. 20 minutes from my house, and 20 minutes from the hospital, in the other direction. Before the show started, we were talking with the couple in front of us, and she was telling us that she delivered her baby in 5 minutes, and that
we should be prepared to deliver in the car on the freeway on the way to the hospital. At this point, my contractions were not regular. Well, Joel started to get a little nervous after talking to the lady. I had done my research, and knew that there was a very small chance that I would have to deliver in the car on the freeway, but he was not convinced. So half way through the first act, I started to count my contractions. How long they lasted, and how often they were. They started to pick up a little, but nothing too alarming. Joel on the other hand was FREAKING out!

So at intermission, it was no surprise that he wanted me to call the doctor. The doctor told me, that in an hour, if they are still consistent, to just come in. So we left Suessical, and went home, just to get things ready. An hour later they were still coming, so we went in. They were quite painful, and I was very uncomfortable, so I knew this was going to be it! They checked me, and I was only dilated to a 2! That is really bad! They said that I needed to go home, and wait until it was worse. I explained to them, it was impossible. This is as bad as I wanted it to get! Seeing my stress, and their limited ability to help me in my situation, they gave me 2 Ambiens. Sleeping pills. I stood at the counter and took them. At some point Joel left me to go get the car. After I took the pills, I can honestly say, I don't remember a thing. I don't remember the drive home, I don't remember taking 3 baths!, I don't remember yelling at Joel because my heating pad was the wrong temp! I do remember dreaming about little Cindy Loo Hoo's though! And I remember thinking I could feel a whole greasy sandwich in my stomach! When I would get up to use the bathroom, or take a bath, I would be so unconscious, I would run into doors, walls, etc. Joel was very concerned, and took me back to the hospital at 6 in the morning. The first thing I remember is getting my epidural. And ooohh... did it feel good! Thinking about the labor now, it was great, easy, and worth every minute. But I do remember screaming to the doctor, "I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN!!!!" How embarrassing! I also remember being really mad that my mom was taking pictures of me in this mess of a situation. Now, I am glad that I have something to remind me of the pain. And that amazing feeling, will be something that I will never forget. This was our tiny little peanut on the day we left the hospital. The day that they sent 2 crazy, irresponsible, dumb, new parents out in the world, to raise a brand new human being.



As hard and long as that experience was, I hope it happens again, real soon! HAPPY LABOR DAY!

2 comments:

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

Love this posting! You are so entertaining and so dang cute pregnant. My goal is to look as good as you did with my next one!

Anonymous said...

About that. The time between the Ambian and the epidural well lets just say I did not take you to the hospital at 6am because the alarm went off. I took you so that you would not be my problem any more. Having a baby is nuts. Father really had it in for Eve. Don’t get me wrong Nora is totally worth it as long as its not me in the stirrups. You blow my mind cookie and I love you for it. Thanks for my Moo.

loves