IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Monday, September 22, 2008

Cookie Carnival! Part 1

I must be crazy! Crazy like a carnival. I decided that my world doesn't have enough to do, and that I am really bored! *Insert Sarcasm Here* I should really spend nap times doing productive things. Blog hopping, IS NOT PRODUCTIVE! When I blog hop, I find fun things that people do, and I want to do it too! So, last month I officially gave up the last 2 free hours of my month, and joined a Cookie club. Sort of like my Daring Bakers Club. I get an email once per month with a fun cookie recipe, and a due date. Then I get to work in the kitchen, and teach Nora the difference between sugar and salt, circles, stirring... etc. Fun for both mommy and baby! So here is it! If you are interested in learning more about these crazy cookie people, hop on over to... THE COOKIE CARNIVAL. However, if you enjoy your free time, stay right where you are, and quit blog hopping! And check out these cute little cookies!

The recipe comes from The LIVING expert, Martha Stewart. Mari made the suggestion, and the task was presented. The recipe is for Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies. I have not eaten a grapefruit in several years, and didn't really know what I thought about the new club I joined. I took on the challenge. I knew it was something that my overly, critical, picky, husband would not even touch. His words come to me before he even had to say them, "Awe man... if you are going to spend time making cookies, why can't you just make classic chocolate chip, or my favorite peanut butter, why do you always have to fancy things up? And if you want to be challenged in the kitchen, make me some fudge. I can give you ideas for a challenge! Why would you spend time making something that we aren't even going to eat?!?" He was right about one thing, I had no intentions of eating these cookies. I know several families that are much more deserving of these then myself or my cranky man!

We made the cookies, plated them, packaged them, photographed them, and didn't eat them. Later that evening I noticed a few missing... "Hmmm?" I asked cranky pants,
ME: Did you try one of these cookies?
Cranky Pants: Yeah, what were those, they were so good!
ME: Really? Are you being serious, or do you have an ulterior motive?
CP: No, really! They were good. Like something you find in a fancy bakery! Or something they would serve with English Tea, don't you think?
ME: Well, I guess I wouldn't know. I didn't have one.
CP: Really, you have to try one. They are great. Here have one...
ME: Hm? They are... alright!
So, I know that if Cranky loves them, they are pretty decent. (Please read disclaimer following the recipe!)





Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies
Ingredients for cookies
Makes 15 sandwich cookies.
*Grated zest of 1 Ruby Red grapefruit, plus 1/4 cup freshly squeezed juice
*1 cup sugar
*1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
*3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
*2 large egg yolks
*Pink Grapefruit Cream Filling
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine zest with 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add egg yolks, and beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in reserved zest-sugar mixture. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the juice, and beat to combine.
3. Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, and shape into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. 4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out disk to 1/8 inch thick using a lightly floured rolling pin. Using a lightly floured 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place about 1 inch apart on prepared sheet. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until edges are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Transfer parchment paper and cookies to rack to cool completely. 5. Using an offset spatula, spread 1 tablespoon filling onto flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping flat sides down. Once filled, cookies can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Ingredients for filling
Makes enough to fill 15 sandwich cookies.
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed Ruby Red grapefruit juice
Directions
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in honey. Add juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until filling holds together and is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and set aside until ready to use.

*Disclaimer* The Cranky Pants, is really an amazing man. Between myself, my mom, and my Nana, he is rather spoiled when it comes to food. He criticizes my cooking because it makes me want to be better, and he always wants something a little better. Please don't take it the wrong way. He is a super duper cheer leader, and I LOVE HIM TO PIECES!!!

8 comments:

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

Kirstynn I am so proud of you!!!!! Your pictures are fantastic!!!!! You have came such a long way in such a short time! You should be so proud of yourself. I know that learning how to operate a camera can be very frustrating at times...but it's apparent that the frustrations that you have suffered have paid off big time! Love them, Love them, Love them....oh yeah and did I mention that I love them. And your story about Mr Cranky made it such good reading!!!! I can vouch for her discaimer...Mr. Cranky is a really great guy!

Anonymous said...

How can you go wrong with Martha? Despite her legal indiscretions she is still a master of baking. And for the record I am VERY spoiled and I do push Kirstynn. She has amazing talent, she just need a little motivation to perform at her peak. I do still contend that peanut butter fudge is the ultimate test of kitchen skill and despite my CHALLENGE to Kirstynn she still won’t touch it. Scared maybe?

CP

Kirstynn Evans said...

Cranky Pants... GET BACK TO WORK!

Mari said...

I love your packaging, your cookies look beautiful!

Stacey said...

Gorgeous Pictures!

Anonymous said...

I love your presentation! My husband, who has a sweet tooth, though these were TOO sweet for him! My 13-year-old scarfed them all up, though.

Jin Hooi said...

Haha, u r so funny ;-)) Your cookies look great !! Mine turned out to be rather dry and hard. Btw, beautiful pics!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos. You were going to give them away without trying them?! I couldn't do that to any cookie. :)