IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Easy, lovable, chicken pot pie

This was a recipe that I have been wanting to try for a while, just because the pictures looked so yummy. Today I am in a position, that I sort of know what I am doing with my camera, that I took the plunge! It was well worth the wait. I was A-mazed at how easy this was. It tasted as good at it looked. (Am I allowed to say that about my own cooking? I see cooks on food network all the time try their own stuff, "MMMM" all over it, and I always think, I could never do that about my own food. But this I have to "MMMM" over, just for a minute.) Since I am new to the food blogging thing, let me know how you want my posts to go. I can put the picture, and the recipe, or I can talk your ear off, and make your mouth water for a few minutes, and maybe entertain you while I am at it. Not making any promises, but I have drama follow me around, and it is always bound to wind up on here. Knock on wood, not much drama in the kitchen yet. Except for the time when Joel was holding Nora, and scolding me for something, and went to make that dramatic exit, and tripped over the opened dishwasher, and had to THROW Nora so that she wouldn't fall into the sharp objects that could have ruined her little body. Every time I close the dishwasher door, it makes this HORRIBLE cracking sound, and always reminds me... well, I can't remember what he was griping about, so I guess it reminds me to keep the dishwasher door closed at all times. ANYWAYS... onto yummieness! These are a great, and easy fall recipe. *Disclaimer: I used an average coffee mug, and I would suggest a small crock, or smaller mug next time.


Individual Chicken Pot Pies
1/3 cup chicken broth
8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots)
2 (10-ounce) cans chicken breast, drained
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
5 sheets phyllo dough
Pepper
Special Equipment: 4 oven-safe cups, pastry brush

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken broth. Add frozen vegetables and chicken breasts and simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat. Add soup and herb seasoning blend and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.

Arrange 4 cups on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Divide mixture evenly into 4s, and put mixture into the four cups.

Gently brush melted butter over each sheet of phyllo dough and cut to fit over top of cup. Repeat process. Bake chicken pot pies for 25 minutes or until phyllo turns golden brown and sheets puff up. Serve warm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow these look like real live professional pictures. Ooo-eeee and check out that water mark. Lookin good my friend, lookin good.
ps this is Katie

Laurel said...

WOW! To the photos and the great, simple, delicious (I'll take your word for it because you would NEVER lie to me). Can't wait to try them.

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

(Insert gasp here) I'm dieing right now, I'm dieing right now, I'm dieing right now!!!! You're pics are so amazing!!!!! This is so exciting!!!!! Now this is the part where your teacher is talking (Insert smelly coffee teacher breath voice)(only because teachers always seem to have smelly coffee breath) I'm so proud of you! I'm giving you an A+. Well Done! Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Julie Barb said...

Amazing...you are so multi-talented with the cooking and the photography...I feel like a lazy-no-talent-having-sloth next to you!! hehe The pics are awesome...does Joel even realize how spoiled he is to have you as a wife...

Helene said...

Your food shots are getting better and better! Keep at it!!