IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

G is for Garden

Really, what have I gotten into? Today Joel came home from work early, so we could start the garden. He is annoyed that we only talk about it, and gosh darn it, we are going to start one! So this is our first blog posting, on our first day, with our first garden! My mother-in-law would be so proud! So since this is our first, and we are very much beginners, we are starting with 5 veggies; green onions, carrots, tomatoes, beans (I heard that anyone can grow beans), and cucumbers. And 2 kinds herbs. It is very small in size, and in quantity. Here are some pictures that explain the happenings. Note to self- next year, start your garden indoors in... March!


These are my poor nails after my first time gardening. I even wore cute gardening gloves!


Not even phased that she is a little dirt ball! Loving that she is able to help!


Seriously... NOT FUNNY!


This is the first bug in my garden. Don't worry, it is supposed to be there. Phew!



I really have no idea what is going to come up where. She was putting seeds everywhere. She loved it, and she made it all worth it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She will love gardening. Can't wait for the day she takes the salt shaker out to the garden herself and starts chowing on the goods right from the vine. -- Lulu

Jean Smith said...

man...you and julie are planting gardens...i am so jealous! i have wanted a garden for years, and now i have a backyard the size of my finger...hmmm...have to wait a little longer. good luck...hope you don't kill everything!

Clear the clutter said...

Fun stuff! How much land do you guys have? I wasn't sure how you broke it up. Cassie spends most of her time eating the dirt when we are working in the yard - kids make everything more fun don't they?

Kirstynn Evans said...

Well Jess... The front lot was 5 acres. The plan was the have half for me, and the other half for Matt. When we went to split it up, they requested a perk test. When land doesn't perk, then they have to have a several thousand dollar, 2 acre, engineered septic system, which was the case for us. Si su=ince the system is so big, it was not possible to put 2 houses up. Since we were ready to build, and Matt was a few years away, we took the entire 5 acres. I think my parents gave Matt something else though, so he is not too broken up over it. Long story, I know, but you asked!!!