IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Sunday, April 26, 2009

WELCOME LULU AND PAPA!!!

My parents came into town for the weekend. Nora was ecstatic to see them, and we had a packed weekend. I am so excited to share the pictures, and moments with you! Here is one that is especially touching. If you have been a witness to my parents saying goodbye to us, you will all notice one thing. My mom is the strong one, and my dad is the cry baby! From the day we mentioned we might be moving, and every time it would come up, he would get emotional and teary eyed. He is a big teddy bear, and he has a special relationship with Nora, that is unlike any other. Nora loves her Lulu too, and has lots of crazy fun with her. But there is something different with her and papa. They arrived early early Friday morning, and Nora woke them up. She really didn't know what to think, and wondered, "How the heck did you guys get here?" But ten minutes later, she was back in Michigan again. She put papa right to work... (he is the artistic one!!!!)



Friday night was our ward spaghetti dinner, and cake auction. This, being the first activity in our new ward, I felt an immense amount of pressure to show a piece of my talent, but not "over-do" it. I got a great great idea from a friend back home, and I asked her if I could steal her idea. Once she agreed, the juices started flowing. Hilary Edwards, has been a friend since we were what... 14? She is so super creative, and has to be one of the craftiest people I know. She has... that I know of... 2 blogs, an etsy page, and does all sorts of craft shows. She is awesome... check out her many many talents here. So, I got the idea from Hilary, and therefore, I can't take any credit. Anyways... I knew what I was going to make, and when I showed up with my cake platter, there were some pretty excited faces. We had a great spaghetti dinner, which NORA ate the snot out of. She finished her plate, and her daddy's plate. We were shocked! The only other thing she eats that much of, is Nana's cooking! Someday, I will be up to par for her!!! And yes... that would be another Jenni dress. She's not the same kid without her Jenni dresses on!


The auction started, and the desserts were going for $5.00-$15.00. There were ALOT of desserts, so it was taking a long time. They came to my "cake", and the bidding began... there were not only rumors of wars, but... there were wars. The final price was $45.00. We weren't able to stay for the entire auction, so I am not sure how high the rest of the show went, but I was pleased to help raise some serious money for the youth in our church! Here is a pic of the final product. There were 20 cupcakes, decorated to look like spaghetti, with strawberry jelly as the sauce, Ferraro Rocher chocolates as the meatballs, and white chocolate as the grated cheese. Don't those really look like meat balls? I was so impressed! People we almost hesitant thinking that they actually were meatball covered cupcakes. Super fun idea, and easy to do! Thanks Hil... I owe ya one!

Saturday we went to a kite park in VB named "Mt. Trashmore". No.... that's not what they call it, that is what it is named. It is a garbage dump that they turned into a park with many many things there to do. You obviously fly kites at the top, apx.100' high. There is a lake, HUGE wooden play structure. We just wanted to fly kites, but the park had TONS of things going on there. A talent audition, dog show, flea market, boot camp, marching band thingy, wow! It was gerat. We were only there for an hour, but it was great. Parents loved it, Nora loved it, the kite got up... I wish the pictures would have turned out better, but it was so sunny, that I could hardly see how the shots came out. Oh well, that is why I am learning, I want to do better at that sort of thing!




Then we went to an Indian Pow Wow at Redwing Park. I was super excited for this, becuase I thought it would be a great photo op. The problem was that the parents were tired, and the kid was OUT OF CONTROL! I am going alone next year!!!


That was the jist of the maddening weekend. We went to church today, then had a real family dinner after. I made a new friend at church who is also new to the area, and the families are getting together tomorrow night. I feel like a little girls on the night before her first day of school. I am so excited to hopefully have a new friend! Her husnabd is a Marine, and they are only going to be here till the end of July, but heck... summer lovin! Not really... =)

4 comments:

Cristi said...

SO fun! I'm so happy your parents could come and visit you guys! Must have been a dreamy weekend! And - your pictures are GREAT! And those spaghetti cupcakes ... I've GOTTA try that!!

Julie Barb said...

Hey...you're not supposed to be having this much fun without us! You are supposed to be sad, depressed, and homesick:) haha! Looks like a great time with your parents...love the pic of your dad blowing on Nora's fingernails...and LOVE the spaghetti cake...great idea!

Q'Ville said...

Thank you, thank you for more fun than a LuLu shoud be allowed to have. C U soon!!

Jerome said...

I didn't cry this time. I was having a spiritual experience. Love you guys, miss you already.