IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Saturday, April 18, 2009

My "CRACK" addiction

It started in December of 2005. I was working at an apartment complex. One resident came to the office with a special gift for her, "Favorite property manager". As soon as it hit my mouth, I NEEDED more! What is this amazing taste? Where did it come from? And how do I get more? She told me how to make my own, "Crack". I went home, and tried it out. I didn't love it anymore! It wasn't as great the second time. Then, three years later, I overheard my friend talking to her mother-in-law about "crack". I remembered the first time I tried it, and how much I loved it! She then, told me how to make my own. SO, again, I tried to do it myself. I didn't make it right, but it still tasted amazing. While I was blog hopping this weekend, I read a post about their "Crack" addiction. I thought it was only something you try around the holidays, but I was wrong. You can make crack anytime of the year. Spring time is a really popular time to make crack in the Jewish comunity. Apparently it is "kosher". Well, today I had to do try it again. OH BOY... am I glad I did! It hit the spot for me today, and I am sure that if you try it, you will love it too. It is really not the best for you, it could make your body jiggle in places that it shouldn't, but if you can't let lose every once in a while, then... well... what fun is that? Enjoy your crack, and if it becomes addicting, "You're welcome".



They call it crack, because, it is made with "crack"ers, it must be "crack"ed when it is ready to serve, and it is addicting, like "crack", cocaine (so, I've heard).

I stole this recipe from "Smitten Kitchen", who stole it from someone else, who stole it from someone else... you get the drift.

4 to 6 sheets matzo or approximately 40 Saltine crackers or crackers of your choice
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into a few large pieces
1 cup packed light brown sugar
A big pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips (or chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate)
1 cup toasted chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts or a nut of your choice (optional)
Extra sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet completely with foil, and then line the base of the foil with parchment paper, cut to fit.

Line the bottom of the baking sheet with matzo or crackers, covering all parts. [If using matzo, you'll need to break pieces to fit any extra spaces, which will be annoying because despite being perforated, it does not actually break in straight lines. I have some luck pressing a serrated knife straight down along a section between perforations, if that (hopefully) makes sense.]

In a medium heavy-duty saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and stir it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Once it has begun boiling, let it bubble for three more minutes, stirring it well. It will thicken a bit as it cooks. Remove from the heat and add the salt and vanilla, and then quickly pour it over the matzo or crackers. You’ll want to spread it quickly, as it will begin to set as soon as it is poured.

Bake the caramel-covered crackers for 15 minutes, watching carefully as it will bubble and the corners might darken too quickly and/or burn. You can reduce the heat if you see this happening.

Remove from oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Let stand five minutes, and then spread them evenly across the caramel. An offset spatula works great here. If you’re using them, sprinkle the chocolate with toasted chopped nuts and/or sea salt. (The sea salt is great on matzo. On Saltines, it’s really not necessary.) *Unless you're like Kirstynn, and you love love love salt. The go for it!

Once completely cool — I sometimes speed this process up in the fridge, impatient as should be expected in the face of caramel crack(ers) — break it into pieces and store it in a container. It should keep for a week but I’ve never seen it last that long.

2 comments:

Julie Barb said...

Thanks Kirstynn. I've had these before and always love them, but have never made them myself...but now I can try it:)

Whitney said...

I am making these today. They look great!