IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Friday, June 27, 2008

Allergy Saga!




You know how my first allergy shot was on Tuesday? Well, after I waited in the office for 30+ minutes, to insure I didn't have a deadly reaction, I went home, weeded the garden, played in the sand box with Nora, just piddled around the house for a little bit, and just happened to walk past a mirror and check out my makeupless self... AHHHHHH!!! OH MY!!!! The right side of my face had swolled up! "Was I in a fight? Did Rocky Ballboa have his way with me? Stay calm!" I remember the nurse saying if there was a reaction, take some Benedryl, and stay calm. So, that is what I did. Super calm, benedryl, life is good! Later that day, I was reading over the random literature the doctors office sent me home with, and it said that before my next shot, I need to inform the nurse of any reaction. It was too late to call on Tuesday, so sometime during my crazy Wednesday, I called the office.

Me: "I just wanted to call and let the nurse know, that I had a slight reaction to the shot that I got yesterday."
Receptionist/Nurse: "What kind of reaction?"
Me: "Well, no big deal, my face just swolled up a little. I took some Benedryl, and it went down, and I am fine."
Nurse: "Your face swolled up? Ummm... hang on."
Me: "OK" (dooody, doooo, hmmmmm, mmmm, I smell something burning.... uh-oh!)
Nurse: "Mrs. Evans, we need to see you in this office immediately! Can you come in right now?"


The question was almost comical. Three kids, whining for lunch. Grilled cheese burning on the stove, Cheerios all over the floor (just keepin it real folks!!!)... hmmm, let me think about that?



Me: "Really, this is not a big problem, I took some Benedryl, and really, I am fine. There is absolutely NO way I can make it in there today. Not for something like this. It's not like my throat has closed up, or I am deathly ill. I am fine, I just needed to let you know, according to the literature YOU gave me."
Nurse: "How about tomorrow, can you come in first thing tomorrow?"
Me: "Fine, I'll be there first thing tomorrow!"


So Thursday morning, I went into the office, with Nora, had a visit with the doctor.

Now, the results;
Apparently they told me this, but I either didn't bother paying attention, because really, they are just allergies, or they really didn't tell me. Either way, I didn't get the memo. (I really don't think they told me!) They recommend that 2 hours prior to, and 2 hours after the shot, you do not expose yourself to anything that causes an allergic reaction. Along with that, you can not exceed a body temperature of 98 degrees. Also, when they give that recommendation, it is erring on the side of caution, and a half an hour should really be fine. So, the fact that when I got home from the shot appointment, and weeded the garden, and played in the sand in 90 degree sun... was not good! However, the fact that I did have a reaction more then 1 hour after the administration was cause for concern. So, because I am extremely allergic! the recommendation for me is this; the day of the shot, do not expose yourself to any of the things that may cause a reaction. The day of the shot, do not go to the gym to work out, do not go tanning (yeah, started tanning before I work out, just a little), and beginning next week, instead of the normal 500,000 mg of serum, you will only get 50,000 mg. (Something like that). This is the entire day of. If you read my post about what I am allergic to, you will know that this recommendation is IMPOSSIBLE. Unless I quit breathing, or literally, wear a bubble.

What the heck! I am trying to evaluate, is it really worth it? The main reason I want to get rid of this, is how awful I look! Am I that vain, that I would put myself through this misery to look better? I want to be normal! I want to play outside with my daughter! I want to pick strawberries, and watch fireworks, and play in the park, and go to the beach, and AHHHHHH!!!!

Help me with this theory Joel and I are working on: The allergy shot is actually a liquid form of what I am allergic to. The way it works, is the shot builds up your tolerance. So if I just roll in it, and swim in the stuff, then eventually I will build up the tolerance on my own! Right? Be thankful that you don't have allergies to your entire life!!!

5 comments:

Jean Smith said...

what the heck. honestly...i really CAN NOT believe your allergy saga. i really think your only solution is to cough up a fair amount of money, buy a tub full of the serum and bathe in it every night. problem solved.

Sisters staying connected... said...

Wowfrickenwee! Unbelievable. I am so sad you had to go through that, but honestly was laughing all the way through your blog! That SUCKS! Hang in there. Or get a second opinion??? Tracy

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

I'm serious when I say this...You really need to write a book. I'm not a big fan of reading...but I love reading your blog. You've got a knack for it. Seriously...write a book.

Tearz said...

I know this isn't a laughing matter, but you made it comical. I'm soo sorry you have to go through this junk. Your in my prayers!

Cristi said...

PS - I stole your "keeping it real" post idea. But mine is a lot more "real" (aka negative) than yours was!