IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"HANDS ON" during a tough day.

For a Christmas gift, Nora gave my dad a day at the "Ann Arbor Hands on Museum". He could pick any day he wanted.

The week his dad died, he was at his house every day, mostly spending the time at his bed side. Praying with him, comforting him, and letting him know, that he is on his way "home", and we will see him again.

It was on Friday, that dad chose to go to the museum. I think he wanted to take his mind off of everything, and indulge in some innocent fun! I didn't realize how significant the "Hands On" part would be until later.

Nora and her Papa, used their hands for everything... playing in water, playing the harp with laser strings, touching bubbles, climbing rocks, hanging magnets...I enjoyed watching them have a great time, and snapped a few shots too.






After the museum, we went to see Pepe (that is what we called my grandpa, pronounced *pip/-pee* In Canadian French, means grandpa). At Peps bed, Nora once again used her hands, and rubbed oil on his hands, she rubbed his arms, and brushed his hair. We spent the rest of the day there, we said good-bye, and left for home. As we walked out the door, Pep took his last breath. All of the family that was there, new that it was best to let us go home as planned. His hands were that of a master gardener. Her hands are that of pure innocence. That day, she told me, "Pepe sees Jesus, Jesus is crying." I don't know where she came up with that, and I am not sure who told her that, but I have never heard her say anything that profound, before or since. All I can imagine, is that she is very close to the spirit of our Savior. Most likely she will not remember Pep, but as she reads her mommies blog some day, she will know how special she is, and how much Pep loved her! He made her laugh and smile every time she saw him. I am grateful for that.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

She is so cute.

The Prices said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Nora is a sweet girl, definitely close to the Spirit; what a bitter-sweet experience.

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

what a great post and so eloquently said. You write so beautifully and your pictures breathe emotion...you are really talented!

NatalieHemingway said...

Mom told me about you Grandpa the other night. So sorry for you all.

I took Sofia to Hands On a few years ago, but haven't been back. We have a family pass at Detroit Science Center and LOVE it.

Julie Barb said...

That was a beautiful post both in pictures and words. I have been "inactive" in the blog world lately since we've been out of town...but I enjoyed just going back and reading all your posts...I do have to say...I think yours is always one of my favorite blogs to read:)...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa...but that is good that you could be there with him right up to the end of his life... Nora must have been spiritually insightful that day

I'll see you Friday morning for VT:)