IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Monday, November 17, 2008

What to say, and how to say it....

What a week filled with excitement, and wonder! We have been wondering if this is something we should blog about. It goes back a few weeks, and didn't know for sure what the outcome would be. We are still up in the air on a few things, but, after much consideration, and even more prayer, we have come to a conclusion. Joel accepted a new position with his company in Virginia. We are unsure of when we will be uprooting to go down, but the process has begun. We live in a housing market, that, well, houses just don't sell. So, our prayers will be towards that of selling this house. The house that we built, on the land we were given, in the only town I could ever call home. So much thought has gone into this. Research has been done, not only on the area, but on the technique of what we are about to put ourselves through. I have grilled friends that have done this, and I have yet to hear, "Don't do it, you are going to regret it." I have heard, "Your family will become so much closer." As I type this, my eyes have filled with tears. Tears from the deep roots that we have sunk in this area.

The last few years, I have worked very hard to create meaningful relationships with people that I deeply care about. I have invested so much of my heart into our home. I keep telling myself, "There will be a Brighton Ward in Virginia. I will find friends there that will change my life as much as the ones here." In all honesty, there could never be another Brighton Ward, or other such faithful, and spiritual friends. I know that. I do not know how our life in the south will fair. I do not know very much at all about the area. What I do know is this, we already will have a bishop. We have a Savior that will follow us to Virginia Beach. We will ALWAYS have each other. The job opportunity is one that is really great, in an economy that is also great. Joel has spent years with this company, trying to gain a valuable reputation. He has worked so hard for our family. This position is the final piece to that puzzle, and the beginning piece to a new one. I am honored and thankful for all of his hard work and dedication to our family. I am so thankful to our Father in Heaven that has endlessly provided opportunities for us. I know that He will continue to do so.

So, now down to the details:
The job is in Norfolk, Va. From talking around, and other research, we decided that we would like to live in Virginia Beach. It is right on the coast of Virginia. Norfolk is home of the LARGEST naval base. And the 2nd largest natural shipping port. It is a very old city. The area we live in now, has 195 people per square mile, and the area we are moving to, has over 5,000 people per square mile. WOW! I am sure we are not going to find a house with 5 acres down there. The week after Thanksgiving, Joel and I are going down to take a look around. And get a feel for it. Unless we are totally turned off by the area, we will start the "Home Hunting". Once we get home, Joel will begin looking for his replacement, then training them. From what he says, there aren't any candidates in line, and it could take a while. He is thinking he will be down there after the first of the year. The next few weeks aren't going to be any different. We will be looking at life through different eyes, that is all. When we come home, we will know more. It has taken me a long time to write this post, because I am so sad. I cry every time I start to write, and I don't want it to come out like we aren't happy about this. It is the true meaning of BITTER SWEET! This morning Nora was standing at the back door, and said, "Uh, Lulu's house." I lost it! She has never known life without lulu in her back yard. She is my world. I just pray that she doesn't hate us for this.

So, we will keep the blog posted on any further developments. I hope that if we didn't tell you personally, you aren't offended that you had to read it on the blog. There are so many of you that we love so much. My blog is just one mean to let out my feelings, my life, my emotions, my frustrations, my joys, and what ever else is on my mind. As a blogger, you can expect the future of my blog to be all about our life in Virginia. It will be mostly keeping relatives updated on our daughter. They really don't care about the rest of us anyway. So... I guess there is not much more to say. Is there? Ok... bye y'all! (Oh great... that is really how they talk!)

10 comments:

Tearz said...

The south is beautiful and you will truly love it there. From experience, it will bring you, Joel, Nora and any future little Evan's very close. It will also make your trips to MI meaningful and full of fun and love and laughter. You are a person of beauty, strenght and confidence and you will prevail in the south. Before you know it, you will be a true southern belle and little Nora will be a character straight out of Austen. Good luck and let me know what I can do to help! Seriously! Ps. missed ya last night!

Clear the clutter said...

What an adventure! You will make it and love it. The Lord is amazing in the way he leads and loves us. You will have a fair share of trials as you work to find a new "normal", but I am confident that the Lord will lead you toward happiness! Congratulations!!

Carrie said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you. Your experience there will be what you make it. We are obviously going to be sad to see you go, but happy for the adventure you will have.

Angie Cheney said...

Oh Kirstynn! I'm so sorry to hear that. We will miss you so much. I just can't imagine not knowing every detail of Nora's life. Virginia Beach is a great place to have to move though. My idea: Matt and Allyson need to move into your house!

Jean Smith said...

geez...everyone else is well wishing you and i am over here boo hooing........

you know i love you guys and am so excited but sooooooooo sad at the same time!!!

Cristi said...

Kirstynn, GREAT post! You expressed your thoughts and feelings so well! Things will be great for you. You have the right attitude about it. And I have to tell you that I've lived in Virginia and the people there are some of the greatest people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. I think you are going to absolutely LOVE it!! I know that I did! Best of luck to you and remain prayerful!! (I know you will!)

Jennifer Urbin Photography said...

So I've been a little tongue tied regarding what to say about this whole situation. For those of you reading who know me, me being tongue tied is a rare occurrence. Kirstynn when you told me there was a strong possibility that you were moving...I opted not to believe it and figured if I ignored the situation it would just go away. So I waited on pins and needles deciding that ignoring the situation was not making it go anywhere. I faught with the selfish part of me....the part that said tell her not to go, convince her to stay, tell her she'll never be happy down there....when I then realized that this wasn't you that I was having these thoughts about, it was actually me. At that time I was thinking that I'm the one who won't be happy up here without you, I'm the one that will never be the same with you living 12 hrs away. Spur of the moment trips to Wal-mart gone, or being crazy enough to drop everything your doing at 9:00p.m. on a Thursday night while Grey's is on to come all the way to my house so we can walk down my street to see a movie being filmed. I'm going to miss all of the fun things that we do together, but deep down, and I mean deep, deep, down, I know that I'll eventually be fine. The reason I'm going to be fine is me knowing that you're going to find yourself rich with new friends. You are one of the sweetest, kindest, most giving people I know. Everything you do....you give 110%...Virgina will be lucky to have you and so will your new friends. I'm going to pray that you find that one friend in particular that makes you laugh until you cry, and will also replace your tears of sorrow with laughter, the type of friend that you find comfort sharing silence with as well as sharing your secrets with and finally the one that you can act crazy around and fly by the seat of your pants with. She's out there, I know it and I can't wait to hear all about her because it will be then that I'll feel like you've made it home. You will always be my best friend no matter where you live and I'm only a phone call away. I know we'll still talk on the phone 5 times a day...I know that will never change. Web cams are a must!!! I still want to be able to see the excitement on your face when Nora reaches another milestone or your sassy new hairstyle as soon as you get back from your stylist. I want to be able to see sweet little Nora in the new dress or tutu that her talented mommy made for her. But most importantly I want to be able to see the happiness on all of your faces, because if you guys are happy then I'm happy. What an amazing opportunity and adventure for your family...it's going to make your family so much stronger. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart. It's going to be great because you guys are great and great things happen to great people...hmmm I wonder if I can add another great in there somewhere?? I will be sad the day you leave but so excited for your first visit back...I'll have that to look forward too. I love you tons and that will never change!xoxox

Sisters staying connected... said...

Jennifer said it best, and made me cry (which never happens, maybe there is something in my eye?). No words for how I feel right now. I do know that you will be blessed, and that you will end up loving the journey. We miss you already. We want to visit you asap...can we? I love you ...alie

Kevin said...

Totally sucks that you're leaving here - but big changes in life like this can lead to some many cool experiences and friendships you otherwise wouldn't have had. It will be sad to see you guys leave - but hopefully the blog world will keep us in touch.

Julie Barb said...

Oh man...I was doing ok til I read Jennifer's post!...now I'm a sap! I just can't imagine life without you Kirstynn! I've known you since as long as I can remember and I can't imagine what it will be like not to have you here. You will seriously love Virginia Beach though. It is beautiful! After Scott and I got married in D.C. we went there for our honeymoon and loved it! I remember thinking that I would love to live there. But still... when you told me you might move a while ago, I wrote it off because I just thought it wouldn't really happen, but to read your post it made it so...real! Please let me know if you need anything! And...can I come over Wednesday morning to bring you something for visiting teaching???:)