IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF RAISING CHILDREN, BE AWARE. THE TINY FINGERPRINTS THAT SHOW UP ON ALMOST EVERY NEWLY CLEANED SURFACE, THE TOYS SCATTERED AROUND THE HOUSE, THE PILES AND PILES OF LAUNDRY LYING AROUND TO BE TACKLED, WILL DISAPPEAR ALL TOO SOON. AND, YOU WILL, TO YOUR SURPRISE, MISS THEM PROFOUNDLY. THOMAS S. MONSON

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Eve...

Yes, the day we were sent home from the hospital was Christmas Eve. It was such an exciting time for us all. Not only was Santa coming over, but so was the baby brother. When we left the hospital, Smith checked out perfect. His tests all came back great, and his levels were all normal. His billirubin level was at 11, which is normal. (More later) Nora was ecstatic to see Smith and I both. Because of the swine flu, there is a ban on anyone under 18 entering the hospital, including siblings of newborns. So it was really sad for me not to see her for a few days. She was excited to see us both, but I think she was more happy to see Smith, or as she says, "Scooby Doo and Smith". She thinks we should all have two names. I am "Mommy, and Kirstynn", she is, "Nora and Moo Child" (some name Joel came up with, don't ask...)


Nora loved the baby Jesus story. We talked about it every night, and she had her own little figurines that she played with. Sometimes the princess would make an appearance at the stable, but we tried to keep it as reverent as possible.


On Christmas Eve our great friends Candice and Joe brought over Christmas dinner. And not just any dinner... this was a special dinner, and I was honored, that they chose us to share it with. Candices "Nana" is a very old Mexican woman living in SanDiego, and although I have never met Nana, Candice speaks of her very highly, and I can't help to think if we ever met, that I would love her as well. She makes tamales. It is a very labor intensive project, but every year for Christmas she spends hours making hundreds of these yummy mexican food. Because she loves her _______ so much, she shipped several dozen to Candice here in Virginia. And yup... you guessed it, they shared some with us. They were incredibly delicious, and I could have not asked for a better dinner my first night home. WAIT... the only thing that wold have made it better would have been some of my Nana's labor intensive apple cookies, or maybe a few cannolis, or oohh... maybe- stop... I can't eat like I used to be able to. I have to focus on getting this belly in shape... but if I could have just one more tamale, and one cannoli, then I would be the luckiest gal there is!



Before Nora went to sleep on Christmas eve, she opened a pair of jammies from her lulu and papa. And we set out a treat for the Jolly man himself, and his reindeer. I was so tickled at how smart my kid can be sometimes. We asked her what we should leave for the reindeer. She said, "Breakfast". I thought... well, that's silly, and asked her, "What kind of breakfast?" She said, "Oatmeal". Oh, well I guess reindeer do eat oats... so we left the reindeer a dish of rolled oats. They are messier than carrots, but I think they enjoyed the grainy break.



4 comments:

Q'Ville said...

tamales... ah, the fabulous tamales. That is one loving Nana. I'll see if I can scrounge up a few left over apple cookies when we come down, and we can make some cannolies too. Smith is precious, Nora is darling. Life is good.

Chelsea Cisneros said...

He is so precious, can´t wait to come and visit! Sam´s phone has not been working. I will call you when we get back!!

Amy said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've been checking here and Smith is beautiful. Congratulations. I'm so glad it went well and I know he's an amazing addition to your family. Miss you.

Cristi said...

Oh - SOOOO sweet!!!